A Blog For Successful Landlords! header image 2

Canada Landlords – How Can We Deal With Mold In Our Rental Property? (Part 1)

April 2nd, 2013 · No Comments · Mold

 mold 2

If You Suspect Mold In Your Rental Property, Don’t Mess Around!

Landlords in Canada have to deal with a whole number of challenges.

From non-paying tenants, to violent tenants, to your house being trashed the list goes on and on. And now we come to another major threat: Mold!

Unfortunately the fact is mold can grow just about anywhere in your home. Places that are commonly exposed to moisture such as bathrooms, basements, attics and kitchens are more prone to developing mold than other areas of your home. Even worse mold isn’t selective it where it grows. Mold will make its home anywhere it can find the right conditions.

Mold can be dangerous.

The mother of actress Brittany Murphy, who died in 2009 of pneumonia, is saying that her daughter and her son-in-law passed away because of toxic mold in the couple’s home, according to new reports.

We are exposed to molds all the time, but some molds are more dangerous than others because they produce toxic substances called mycotoxins, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Mold can occur in buildings when there is dampness from water incursion (like from leaking pipes or rainwater), the CDC reported.

Exposure to mold can lead to allergic reactions, asthma attacks and even pneumonia, although pneumonia as a result of mold exposure is rare, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health. Infections can also occur in people whose immune systems are weakened. Pneumonia is defined as lung inflammation caused by infection by an organism (such as a virus, bacteria or another kind of organism), HealthCentral reported.

The CDC reports that a condition called “hypersensitivity pneumonitis” is a possible complication of mold exposure. The condition might seem like pneumonia, but it can’t be cured by antibiotics, and its symptoms include cough, chills, fever, fatigue, muscle aches and shortness of breath. If a person is continually exposed to the mold, the damage caused by hypersensitivity pneumonitis can bring on scarring and permanent damage, according to the CDC.

Canada Landlords, mold is a very dangerous threat to your tenants and to your success as a landlord.  To discuss this and other issues go to the number one landlord forum in Canada.

Tags: ·